Using ffmpegX to merge avi and srt... HELP!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nolarice00, Sep 5, 2013.

1. nolarice00 macrumors newbie

:confused:
    I've been trying to merge avi. and srt. files into one to play on my PS3 for ages and recently downloaded ffmpegX and the first three times it worked great.
    But now after I've done all of this:
    "Try using ffmpegX. In order to to add the subtitles you must re-encode the avi video. So, drag and drop or open the avi file with ffmpegX. Click the arrow in the area where it says "To" and select the format you want it to be encoded to. I usually choose xvid or divx. Then go to the "Filters" tab and click "Load subs" and select the subtitle file you wish to use. You can also change the subtitle font size, text style, and position (I like to keep the font size and text style default and change the position to Pos 90 to keep the subtitles a little more closer to the bottom). Before you encode the video, you can preview how the subtitles will appear by clicking "Preview." Another thing I like to do before I encode the video, is go to "Options" and check "Two-pass encoding" (this will make the output file quality a little bit better by analyzing the video and creating a log file). Once you have everything set to your preference, just click "Encode" at the bottom right corner to start the encoding process. Once its done, you should have a file, avi in this case, that will have the subtitles encoded into the video. There is no way to remove the subtitles after this process, so make sure that you don't overwrite your original avi file."
    ... the file appears as an mpg.avi file on my desktop but it won't run on VLC, Quicktime or my PS3!!!
    Could you please help?! I obviously have NO idea what I'm doing and how to get it to "work" again.
    Thanks!!!

2. nolarice00 thread starter macrumors newbie

The original files prior to encoding are mp4 and aroud 1GB in size. After encoding they become mpg.avi and just about 70KB. I have tried with different files and it's always the same.

3. floh macrumors 6502

Not to go into details too much, but: "ffmpegX", while very powerful, is probably not the right tool for you, especially if you've never dealt with video conversions.

I can think of two (much simpler) solutions:

1. There are tools that do exactly what you need and nothing else. This will probably be simpler. I tried Submerge once and it worked pretty smoothly.

2. If you want something more powerful with practically the same capabilities as "ffmpegX" but a little more intuitive to work with, try the amazing HandBrake. There is an article here on how to hard code subtitles with it.

That is also what you want to google for if you need further info: "Hard code subtitles Mac OS X", I'm pretty sure there are tons of options.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure about the PS3 and its subtitle capabilities but I use Subler to merge srt and mp4. Going to AVI is going "Back to the Future"

Can PS3 do soft subs like all iOS devices? If so, the Subler will work. If not then you might have to recode with hard subs, but I'd rather do that in a MP4 codec and container than anything in AVI.

5. nolarice00 thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed that the first 3 times I did it and worked, all three files were .avi prior to adding the subs and encoding. The files I am trying to work on now, are all MP4. Could this have something to do with my problem?

I am sorry if my doubts are too "stupid" I am new to this and really have no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks so much for answering!