using final cut express and export using FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by roslee7, Apr 9, 2010.

1. roslee7 macrumors regular

i am editing a 5 mins video using final cut express on my MBA (1st generation). I didnt render the video and just export to quicktime coversion>h264>1280x720. It tooks me almost 5 hrs to export 5 mins video from my Hi definition which i took from my canon ixus 100. Just a question, will it make a different if i render first and then export? coz apparently, rendering also tooks like 1 hr also.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes, the video has to be rendered, so a good chunk of your time there was rendering.

Personally, I always render, export to quicktime and then do the conversation to H.264 in quicktime, not in FCE. That frees up FCE to do other edits.

3. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

4. hagbard23 macrumors newbie

Quick question:
    How do I preserve the work that I've done in FCE pre-export. That way if I want to return to the way I have my timeline set as it is ready for export and change something, how can I do that?

I assume that all of that data is lost once exported to quicktime, yes ?
    Is there not an option to save it as for example .dv and when reopening said .dv file in FCE the clips and timeline are perfectly preserved ?

5. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

interesting also to know about your question hagbard23.
    About my problem, i find a solution to export it . i save my project as final cut file and then import to imovie for conversion. perhaps is much faster. Coz i dont understand why convert in Final cut takes longer time than in imovie