Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disp350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
I installed the public beta on a test iPhone 7. On my Iphone X with 12.3.1. I have the Apple logins for a few relatives and use the Find My Phone app to locate them as needed. Can I locate these users with the new Find My app and these users running 12.3.1 on their devices and if so, how do I do this? I tried adding one user to be able to see me, but they did not receive any notification and I can't see myself from their phone.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Works fine with me and my family...all are on iOS 12...I'm on iOS13 PB.

I already had them on there though...everything transferred right over.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
How do you add family members? I don't see an option for it.
It reads as though he has their Apple ID login information so presumably he logs into the Find My app with their specific details as and when required, its not a case that he can add other peoples IDs under his own.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It reads as though he has their Apple ID login information so presumably he logs into the Find My app with their specific details as and when required, its not a case that he can add other peoples IDs under his own.

Sounds like he is trying both.

He specifically says he is trying to add someone so he can see them and they can see sim.

If he has their Apple ID’s/login, he should still be able to sign in and see where their device is.

As to the question on how to add people, I don’t see that option anymore as well and have been unable to locate it after a brief search. Used to be right in the app.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
As to the question on how to add people, I don’t see that option anymore as well and have been unable to locate it after a brief search. Used to be right in the app.

There's an option to "Share My Location" at the bottom of the people I currently share with on mine.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL

I figured it out. You can't log in with another ID. The other person has to share their location with you. Then it shows in the Find My app. I had never used Find My Friends. Always used Find My iPhone.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
It helps if each person adds the others email address used to their contacts. This is likely the email used for one's Apple ID. I had to add mine to the contact my wife had for me. The app will create a contact, if it's not available. Then you have to add that contact to the existing contact in Contacts. I hope that made sense!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
There's an option to "Share My Location" at the bottom of the people I currently share with on mine.

That’s not the same as “add person” ...I still don’t want people to see me, but I do want to add them.

And whoa...they moved the “me” icon from the upper right to the status bar at the bottom with the latest update.

Disp350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
I think I finally got it setup. I did the Share Location from the text message on my wife's IOS 12 device and now it shows up under People in the Find My app. I like the IOS 12 way better by just being able to at them to Find My Phone, but I guess it's progress.....

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I think I finally got it setup. I did the Share Location from the text message on my wife's IOS 12 device and now it shows up under People in the Find My app. I like the IOS 12 way better by just being able to at them to Find My Phone, but I guess it's progress.....

Yeah, it's more like it was in Find My Friends. I always just used Find My iPhone as well. Was only with my wife.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
The new Find My app doesn't let you set a notification to keep track of a person without also notifying the person you're tracking.
Good news for privacy advocates.
Bad news for parents.
:D

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The new Find My app doesn't let you set a notification to keep track of a person without also notifying the person you're tracking.
Good news for privacy advocates.
Bad news for parents.
:D

Umm...it's always been that way.

But kid's phones are MY phones since I pay for them. As soon as I set them up, i also set up Find My. Once you do it, it is on for good with notifications unless they change something. And if they do, I know that as well.

I don't track my kids though...sometimes I just want to know where they are without bugging them.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Not in my experience.
It always notified people when you added them as a friend but once they were added you could set additional notifications like notify me when they leave the house or notify me when they arrive at school and the person would be unaware.
But no longer.
Now you get a popup during the setup of the notification alerting you that the other party will also be notified.
This is completely new.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Not in my experience.
It always notified people when you added them as a friend but once they were added you could set additional notifications like notify me when they leave the house or notify me when they arrive at school and the person would be unaware.
But no longer.
Now you get a popup during the setup of the notification alerting you that the other party will also be notified.
This is completely new.

Hmmm..testing now...will advise.

I only just started using that feature as someone said it wasn't working that well. Has worked great the few times I have tried it to let me know when one of my son's was leaving work.

EDIT: Yes...it does say on my phone that they will be notified that I have set this notification (let me know when my son leaves home)...testing to see if that is true though.

EDIT2: OK..I just got notified he left home (he is about 1/2 mile away). I asked him to text me if he has any notifications on his phone.

Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
EDIT2: OK..I just got notified he left home (he is about 1/2 mile away). I asked him to text me if he has any notifications on his phone.

Yeah I’m curious if people still on iOS 12 will actually receive the notification.
Or if it’s even actually working yet on iOS 13.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA

Actually, it hasn't.

You can set up an alert for when someone you share your location with leaves or arrives at a place. I will sometimes keep track of my Mom this way (and yes, she knows I do this).

On iOS 12.4 and iOS 13 B1 (possibly B2 as well), I'd set up some alerts and she wouldn't be bugged by a notification. On the recent beta, it tells me that she'll be alerted I set up an alert for her. She's on iOS 12.3, so she still has Find My Friends, not the Find My app, so she's obviously not getting these new alerts.

Some days, I'll set up multiple alerts, so this will be annoying to her. They need to allow you to customize whether you receive alerts, or allow you to customize for each user whether you want to be notified or not.

Yeah I’m curious if people still on iOS 12 will actually receive the notification.
Or if it’s even actually working yet on iOS 13.

He did not get a notification of any kind...he is on iOS12....

My guess is that people would need to be on iOS 13 and have the Find My app, as this is a feature of that app, not the Find My Friends app.

Reactions: MozMan68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.