Using flac with DVDs on Studio Pro 4?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nope Nope Nope, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Nope Nope Nope macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to help my friend who is helping me make a DVD menu for a release I want to put out on DVD. It would be audio and video. He says he is unable to use flac in this program (Studio Pro 4). I have read about ALAC and I don't want to use this format. I have read some of the instruction manual and it says there is some risk in "lossless linking". I don't know what this is, but there is too much content to use WAV or AIFF formats, so I'm really hoping FLAC can work somehow. Can anyone help lead me to the lossless light? Or am I going to have to release a DVD with mp3s on it?

Thanks in advance.

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

3. Nope Nope Nope thread starter macrumors newbie

Well apparently ALAC is also a format that can be used with his program, but not FLAC, even thought FLAC is probably a much better format. I will begin to look up the quality of AC-3 audio. Thanks.

4. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

You can probably use most common formats as the master files, which you would want because the authoring software is going to transcode them into a format usable by common DVD players; probably Dolby Digital (AC-3). Lossless formats and MP3 aren't very well supported on most DVD players, so you wouldn't want to use them anyway, but you should use them to author the DVD as the output will be better than using a lossy source.