Using free online text services on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FABen, Sep 27, 2008.

1. FABen macrumors newbie

Is this possible?
    To use sites like cbfsms.com on your iphone to send messages?

2. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

I think you can use the Aol Aim app for free texting. Theres a bunch of videos on youtube about it.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

why not just use email?

4. FABen thread starter macrumors newbie

my phone aint jailbroken and I don't really wanna do that to it, just wondered if sites like these would work. I don't use e-mail because my mates don't use e-mail when they're on the move, and I don't have a mobile me account so to use e-mail on my phone is awkward.

5. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Your phone doesnt need to be jailbroken to use the aim app. Its in the top 25 in the app store................

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You don't need to Jailbreak. You can email SMS's. It gets sent as an SMS, but is free for you and if your friends reply to it it's free for you again. AIM apps are in the App store, but you need to have the application active in order to receive any messages. I'd get a MobileMe account as it alerts you instantly when you get a message. I'm not sure where you're located, but it gets you unlimitted SMS (basically) for $100, where as if you paid for unlimitted SMS it'd cost you $240 per year.

However it is a little work to put in all of your contacts numbers as emails. and you have to know what provider they have. For example someone on the verizon network's email will look like this 5555551234@vtext.com

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

In short there is NO easy solution to this yet

either you need to be Constantly on AIM , or do what the previous poster said

its not worth the hassle, i just e-mail more and upgraded my plan

8. FABen thread starter macrumors newbie

We have moved a little bit away from original question now guys. Appreciate the suggestions of using the AIM app but it sounds a little bit faffy, was looking more for a yes or a no on being able to use texting sites on the iphone.