Using FreeNAS AFP as Time Machine Server backup destination

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vinxi, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Vinxi, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

Vinxi macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2007
    Hi everybody,

I need your help and I'm sorry for my english.

I have a Mac Mini as a Time Machine/File sharing server and a relatively old PC with 3 HDDs inside.

Before buying an external enclosure for those HDDs I was trying to understand if I can reuse the "old" PC to serve its drives to the Mac Mini.

I was thinking about a FreeNAS + iSCSI since I could use the HDDs as "local drives" and format them as HFS+, but its support on Mac Os X isn't free. So I thought about sharing folders through FreeNAS + AFP but I don't know if they can be a reliable destination for the Time Machine Server.

What do you think?
  2. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005

I have not done it myself, but I have read forum posts here from others using Netatalk AFP under Linux to successfully do networked Time Machine backups.
  3. Vinxi thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2007
    Hi Weaselboy,

thanks for your answer. I know about Netatalk but I already use the Mac Mini as a (official) Time Machine Server and I'd like to keep it that official way. :D

I would use the "old" PC only to share its HDDs with the Mac Mini expanding its storage, it's like a NAS vs DAS :D
  4. Mago macrumors 68020

Aug 16, 2011
    Beyond the Thunderdome
    1st iScsi is the right way.
    2 AFP don't enable timecapsule (that's why netatalk exist).
    3. If you really want your time machine available and reliable, get an Thunderbolt enclosure for your disks, sure is cheaper (enclosure + raid 5 software) than iScsi + Nas
  5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Feb 10, 2008
    I'd skip the RAID5 software, but a 4 bay TB enclosure for your drives is the better approach.
  6. Vinxi thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2007
    Thank you guys.

Do you know how I can transform my case/motherboard/CPU/PSU in a DAS? I'd like to reuse it before buying an external enclosure.