using ftp to edit current website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by juality, Oct 18, 2008.

1. juality macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope this is a basic question. I am a Mac newbie having come over from Windows. I have a website that was created with MS Frontpage and I used to change the content myself with that. I am shortly going to be redesigning my website anyway, but in the meantime as I no longer have Frontpage I have not been able to update the content, which is getting embarassing. Is there an easy way for me to edit my website pages on my Mac. I saw someone say that you can do it by choosing "go" in Finder and then "connect to server" I can do that and get in and the website pages are all there in the window. I hoped that I could just open them with "textedit" as one of the menu options, edit them and then somehow upload. However when I tried to save the edited html page in textedit, it only offered two formats to save in (RTDF I think, and web archive). I tried RTDf and it just said it could not save the page. Am I missing something, or if not, what is the easiest and quickest way for me to grab my pages off my hosted server, change them and put them back, as a stopgap until I do the proper redesign. I am obviously just a beginner, but I can usually figure most things out!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use Cyber Duck for FTP, and it has an option to open the file locally, then save it back to the server. I open the Files with BBEdit, but you should be able to set it to most programs like TextEdit, or TextWrangler, Smultron, or whatever floats your boat.

3. juality thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I did just stumble over another mention of cyberduck elsewhere. I shall give it a try

4. juality thread starter macrumors newbie

for any other complete amateur searching on this in future, just wanted to let you know I realised I need a WYSIWYG program since I dont know coding. I ended up grabbing KompoZer off the web. Yes, it's dead simple but within 5 minutes I had downloaded my existing website, changed the pages and published them. With about 5 buttons. So if anyone else needs to do anything that simple, like just changing text in a hurry, give it a try. :)