Using function keys within a web browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ebouwman, May 9, 2010.

1. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

The company i work for has away to get onto their computer system through the internet via some sort of java app. On the computers at work it's what looks like a DOS app, so to be able to use it properly you have to use lots of function keys.

The problem i'm having is that these function keys aren't working for me inside this web browser window java app thing. Is there any way to set it up so i can use them? Maybe a plug in or something?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you on a desktop or laptop? If laptop, try holding Fn while pressing the function key, which will make it, for example, send "F1" instead of "decrease brightness".

You can also swap this behaviour to be the default under Sys Prefs > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.

3. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, on a laptop, and tried this.

One of the important F-keys is F3, so i got rid of the F3 shortcut which is spaces (goes into spaces when you hit fn + F3) and it still didn't do anything.

It also doesn't seem to work with other function keys.

I think it's less an issue of being able to actually hit F-keys and more an issue with the web browser not accepting the F-keys as input, if you get what i mean. Just my idea.

I did try changing browsers to firefox, and it does display the app better, but it's still not accepting the function keys.

EDIT: I just googled it again, and found a site that suggests that Opera may work, going to give that a shot

EDIT: Opera doesn't work either

4. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

My guess is it will have to do with the following:

a) the OS on the work computer. If it is windows you're in for a world of compatibility pain I think. Maybe not though.

b) the hardware compatibilty issue. The work computer may simply not know what to do with the command that you issued by use of the Fn key.

c) the java app issue. The app that you are using to get into your work computer may simply not be able to comprehend your commands with the FN key. This may require a re-writing of the app, or a plugin. But without knowing what the Java app is, recomendations cannot be forth coming.