Using functions such as page up/down, home, end etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moizkhan, Dec 6, 2008.

1. moizkhan macrumors newbie

Well, I bought the new aluminum macbook and have loved every single aspect of it so far. The only thing I have been missing since switching from a Windows based laptop is...there is no home key! (or at least one that I have found yet).

So my question is, is there a way to make a keyboard shortcut which does the same function as a home or end key?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What exactly do you use a Home key to do? I use Windows every at work, and to be honest I can't remember off hand what I use the Home key for ... if I'm in a Unix bash shell, I use it for going to the start of a line, but other than that, I don't think I ever actually use Home in Windows.

If you want to go to the start of the line use Command-left arrow, to go to the end Command-right arrow.

3. WellRedd macrumors member

Fn and left arrow is home, Fn and right arrow is End, and as you'd expect knowing that, Fn Up and Down are Pg Up and Down respectively.

4. gpb01 macrumors newbie

gpb01

In TextEdit (and, I suppose, in other text applications) you can move like PgUp, PgDn with ctrl-UpArrow and ctrl-DnArrow and you can go Home and End with cmd-UpArrow and cmd-DnArrow

5. moizkhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainly when I am fiddling with code...

Thanks to everyone for the help :p

6. deepfriedbrain macrumors newbie

Scroll to Page Top or Bottom

Here's another question on the lines of the original post (I-can-do-this-in-Windows-but-how-to-do-it-in-Mac) :)

How do I jump to the top or bottom of a long page. I can do fn+up/down to do PageUp/Down in steps, but is there an equivalent of Ctrl+PageUp/Down of Windows that takes you to the top/bottom of the page?

Thanks.

7. simsaladimbamba

In what application? Cmd + Down/Up jumps to the end/beginning of a page for me in Safari.

8. deepfriedbrain macrumors newbie

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread (it wasn't intentional). I should have started a new thread. I'm talking about the keyboard controls in Win XP (running Bootcamp). I just realized that the OP wasn't referring to Bootcamp. It works under OS X (like you said), but on Windows, it doesn't.