Using Garageband '11 for Video Editing

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Codeseven, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Well, probably not the most efficient way of doing it, but I edit a video in iMovie '11, then import the edited video into Garageband along with a multitrack mixdown audio from a DAW (Audition 5.5). Then edit the mixed audio to matchup with the videos audio, delete the videos audio and then export the finished video out of GB.

Works ok. There's some slight out of sync issues but GB '11 has some tools that I'll mess around with like Groove Matching and Quantize Note Timing that might help :)

Is this the hard way of replacing a videos audio with another?

2. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kinda strange, to me anyway. I found that after using Garageband, since it's an audio program, to replace and sync the sound in my videos, that though the video audio seemed synced it wasn't till I viewed it in iMovie with the audio separated from the video that I could see the sound track was clearly out of sync.

Even without the audio tools that Garageband has is iMovie typically more accurate at syncing audio to video?

3. The Welshman macrumors newbie

iMovie 09 audio-video sync tools...?

I sure hope that it is, because I need to use iMovie to sync up audio to video. The audio will be recorded separately and dragged into an iMovie project. There I want to sync it up and then do some minimal editing.

So, I...

-Fired up iMovie 09 for the first time
    -loaded in my QT video (with cheesy room-mic audio)
    -detached aforementioned cheesy audio and deleted it
    -dragged in a simultaneously direct-recorded clean Logic Pro audio file

Things get a little hazy here. Can't remember if the audio file comes in already detached (I am away at my surfing PC and not at studio). But I was pulling the audio around and trying to sync it up with a hand-clap that I had made on the video. It seemed like a really inaccurate way to do syncing!

I was reading a more general Ken Stone article and it seemed that maybe the Precision Editor might be the way to go. Kind of hard to believe there wouldn't be some type of decent syncing procedure in iMovie 09 (though there does seem to be a rash of feature-reduction going around).

In any case I would rather not have to buy Final Cut or even Dual Eyes to do the syncing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.