Using GF Snow Leopard CD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ipodlover77, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys quick question. I purchased my girlfriend, who has a late 2008 white macbook, snow leopard today as a gift. I also purchased snow leopard through the up to date offer and unfortunately it didn't come today. I was wondering after she updates her macbook could I update mine also (a 13 macbook pro) without any problems?

2. Switz213 macrumors 6502

:D

and...

yes.

3. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hahah I knew someone would point that out hahah. So is it safe?

4. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Sorry for the stupid follow up question but what stop people from just borrowing a install disk from a friend instead of buying it?

5. Code001 macrumors member

Honesty, Morals, etc.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Apple's licensing policy prohibits the use of one disc on two macs. Only the family pack can be used on up-to 5 macs.

However as you already have your up-to-date coming, just do it, might as-well. You already own two licenses technically, so no problem (y)

7. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Morals...

There's nothing to stop you from doing it, but it is illegal and immoral. You pay for a license to use the software, not the disc itself, and so by borrowing a disc, you're using the software illegally. Your choice whether or not you choose to break it...

8. zbasarab macrumors member

absolutely nothing.

hence the reason torrents of snow leopard are very popular (not to say I advocate for such actions).

9. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

yours is on the way, so i dont see a problem.

no one will notice or even care that much to say the least. in fact, only you will and not anyone else. :)

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Since you say you don't pay for the disc itself, then it shouldn't matter if he uses his girlfriend's disc…since he's already paid for a second license through the Up-to-Date…the disc just hasn't arrived.

OP: It's not immoral/unethical or whatever at all. Go ahead and do it, you've already paid for it.

11. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Oh sorry, I misread the OP :) Borrowing a disc if you've bought a license is fine - infact, if my family pack doesn't arrive tomorrow, that's what I'll do!