Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neil Nmu1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I am a new mac user. I have downloaded Gimp for editing photos and also resizing so that I can attach to e-mails. I have edited them in Gimp and resaved under another name within the same folder. When I try to find them in Finder or on Iphoto they do not seem to be there. If I do a search in Finder they do not appear.

What am I doing wrong ?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you remember where you saved them? Can you open the Gimp "Save As" dialog to see what directory/folder has been selected?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Neil Nmu1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Do you remember where you saved them? Can you open the Gimp "Save As" dialog to see what directory/folder has been selected?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Thanks for your comments and I will certainly look at these links

The edited photograph was saved to the same folder which I then looked for via finder and iPhoto to no avail. I have checked the file paths. I can open the saved file from Gimp but can't access it otherwise.

tk117

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
My guess is that you saved the file using GIMP's file format, not JPG. Re-save it and make sure the type is jpg. GIMP generally will determine the file type by the extension you type but there is probably a selection list as well.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
On a Mac there is not often you will need to waste time or space to resize a photo just to email it. If you are using iPhoto select the photos you want and use the Email button at the bottom of iPhoto, you will then have the option to select the size to use in the email. If you are selecting the photos from a folder in Finder or from the desktop drag to the email you are composing and drop, a button then will appear at the bottom right of the email window where you can again select the size you want.

Neil Nmu1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
My guess is that you saved the file using GIMP's file format, not JPG. Re-save it and make sure the type is jpg. GIMP generally will determine the file type by the extension you type but there is probably a selection list as well.

Thanks. I've checked and the file was saved as a jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.