Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I am using @icloud.com to sync the Notes app and Photo streaming on my iPhone and Mac Mini. It's not really serving any other purpose. I also have a @gmail.com address for my iTunes Apple ID.

I'm a bit confused. I actually used my @gmail.com address for my devices and Mac Mini iCloud services by mistake and it worked fine. This meant I was using @gmail.com for EVERYTHING. Problem was I no longer had my @icloud.com email address on my devices so I had to go back and enter in the @icloud.com address on my devices' and Mac Mini iCloud account window.

I guess my question is if I don't care to have an icloud.com email address can I just use my gmail address for EVERYTHING? iTunes, iCloud syncing etc?

Why did I create an iCloud account in the first place if Apple is allowing me to use my gmail account as an iCloud account?

Finally can I simply create a new iCloud.com account/email address and use that as an Apple ID for all iCloud and iTunes services?

Apple says it does not allow an iCloud.com email address to be used as a new Apple ID on their Apple ID management page because it's already an Apple ID. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621?viewlocale=en_US

Before you change your Apple ID, make sure that the email address you want to use for your Apple ID meets these conditions:

The email address is one that you use regularly, because it will be the primary email address for your Apple ID.
The email address is not associated with any other Apple ID.
The email address is not an iCloud email address, which is already an Apple ID. iCloud email addresses end with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com.

**what if I start fresh with a single new iCloud email address? My previous notes, contacts etc won't be able to be synced so I should export my contacts and save a copy of Notes on my desktop right?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why did I create an iCloud account in the first place if Apple is allowing me to use my gmail account as an iCloud account?

That is not what is happening. All that is happening is the username to login to your iCloud account is xxx123@gmail.com, for example. Beyond that, the GMail account if not being used by Apple or any of the Apple devices at all.

Yes, if you want to make a new iCloud account and start over you will need to export everything from the old account and import it into the new one. Also be aware that any iTunes or App Store purchases under the old AppleID will not come over with a new ID. There is no way to merge purchases.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
That is not what is happening. All that is happening is the username to login to your iCloud account is xxx123@gmail.com, for example. Beyond that, the GMail account if not being used by Apple or any of the Apple devices at all.
so there's really no use for an xxx@icloud.com email address then. I can use my xxx@gmail.com address for cloud and iTunes right? A single address for everything right?

Yes, if you want to make a new iCloud account and start over you will need to export everything from the old account and import it into the new one. Also be aware that any iTunes or App Store purchases under the old AppleID will not come over with a new ID. There is no way to merge purchases.
So if I created a new Apple ID could I use a xxx@icloud.com address? If so why does Apple say I can't use my current xxx@icloud.com to change my Apple ID?

Are you saying that even though I paid for my apps I won't be able to use them if I create a new Apple ID? That's insane. They can't tell by credit card or verification email that I am the same person in 2013?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
so there's really no use for an xxx@icloud.com email address then. I can use my xxx@gmail.com address for cloud and iTunes right? A single address for everything right?

No... that gmail address is just your iCloud login name, but email sent to that gmail address will not show up in the iCloud account. It is no different than if you used patent10021 as your username for iCloud.

So if I created a new Apple ID could I use a xxx@icloud.com address? If so why does Apple say I can't use my current xxx@icloud.com to change my Apple ID?

Yes, a new ID would let you pick an email to use with it. It won't let you use the current one as it is already in use in the other acct.

Are you saying that even though I paid for my apps I won't be able to use them if I create a new Apple ID? That's insane. They can't tell by credit card or verification email that I am the same person in 2013?

That is exactly what I am saying, and I agree it is jacked up.

What I do and you could do, is keep the AppleID you used to buy apps and music, and just use that to login to the app store and iTunes only. You can do this on a Mac and iOS devices no problem.

Then use your newly created iCloud account for mail, calendar, and contacts sync. Just set that up in the iCloud section on the Mac and iOS device.

Reactions: luminosity6

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
sIf so why does Apple say I can't use my current xxx@icloud.com to change my Apple ID?

I think they are concerned that you could get "stuck in a loop" if you made an iCloud e-mail address your Apple ID. For example, if you forgot your password you couldn't login to your iCloud mail. And if that was also your ID, Apple couldn't contact you because mail would be going to the account you couldn't access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.