Using Gmail and Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sgt.Pepper, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

I have a few questions about using Apple Mail in conjunction with Gmail.
    1. If I fetch mail using Apple Mail and read it, will it appear as read or unread when go into Gmail through the Gmail website?

2. When I send a message Apple Mail, will appear as a sent letter on Gmail site? (or visa vera)

3. If I delete an email in Apple Mail what happens to the copy on Gmail site?

4. If I read an email on gmail website and then fetch mail using Apple Mail, does the read message also download or is it only unread mail?

If anyone could answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated. : )

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It depends if you setup IMAP or POP access. It sounds like you'll want IMAP, so that's how I'll answer your questions:

1 - Yes (it will appear as read).

2 - Yes.

3 - It also will be deleted.

4 - It will download as a read message.

You can read more about IMAP and Gmail here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806

3. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that seems like it is what I'm after.

I previously started using gmail the POP way. So is it possible to change that now or will I need to somehow delete the setup I have with Apple Mail and Gmail and start over? (I'm not sure if that makes sense)

Also, more importantly. Say there are email I have that I don't want clogging up my inbox, but I don't want to delete them. Using Gmail I'll archive them. What happens to the email in Apple Mail once I've archived it?
    Also can I archive it from Apple Mail or will I need to log in to Gmail from the website to do that?
    Or is there a different technique for doing that using Apple Mail (like putting it into a folder, but I gather then it'll just add a label on the Gmail site, and remain in the inbox).

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'll need to add Gmail again in Mail preferences, but instead of selecting POP, you'll want to select IMAP.

Once you have the account setup with IMAP, you'll notice the gmail folders in the sidebar. You can archive messages by dragging them into the "All Mail" folder.

Attached Files:

5. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

6. Cantello macrumors member

And remember to activate the advanced IMAP controls and then uncheck the "All Mail" folder in the labels section of the settings.

Otherwise, you'll end up with two copies of each message due to a bug in Apple Mail that won't allow you to subscribe to GMail's IMAP folders.

7. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Where's the labels section of the settings? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

8. Cantello macrumors member

First activate the advanced IMAP controls in the labs settings:
    [​IMG]

then enable/disable the appropriate IMAP folders in the labels section:

[​IMG]

9. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily. If you go to Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox behavior, at the bottom, you can check the box that says "Store deleted messages on server." Thus, when you delete from Mail, there will still be the original message on gmail through web access.

10. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean end up with two copies? One copy on Gmail and one copy on Apple Mail? Or Two Copies on Gmail, or two copies on Apple Mail?

11. Slovak macrumors regular

Really, it depends how you set up preferences in Apple Mail. Under Accounts > Mailbox behaviors I've checked the Trash section to Move deleted messages to Trash Mailbox, unchecked Store deleted messages on server, and chosen Never to Permanently erase messages. When I delete a message from Apple Mail, it is automatically archived in Gmail. That works for me.

Also, be sure to include IMAP Path Prefix [Gmail] to remove to annoying tag in Apple Mail.

12. Cantello macrumors member

Two copies in Apple Mail. One in the labels folder and one in All Mail. However, this may just be me as I assign labels to every mail. If you just archive them, it's perfectly fine to leave the All Mails folder as it is, to be able to archive mails.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

How do you get "Advanced IMAP Controls"? i only have "IMAP Access" and i dont have "Show in IMAP" checkboxes or even my mailboxes under Labels.

14. Slovak macrumors regular

Click on labs, scroll down to Advanced IMAP Controls and enable it.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ thanks worked it out the next day. now does anyone know how to remove the [Google Mail] folder now that i have nothing in it? i just thought it would go away?

16. Slovak macrumors regular

Glad to hear that. Not sure what your other question is exactly. See if post #11 above explains it.

17. mmdj macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i've been struggling to get my iMAP account correctly setup in mail app for quite a while, my problem is that when i set it up like the Google help center outlines it... it starts downloading ALL my stored gmail :( Is there a way to prevent this to happen and that only email from the time i set up the account is received?

Thanks so much for your help.

18. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

Do what is outlined above, and uncheck everything except "Inbox" and "Drafts"
    That's what I did. Works for me.

19. mmdj macrumors newbie

Hey!

Thanks for the tips but that didn´t really help :( Mail app is still downloading tenths of thousands of mails form Gmail...

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!