Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I have Gmail and iCloud email, so I'm using Apple Mail as my Mac client. I have Gmail filtering the inbox into categories (Primary, Updates, Promotions, Social, and Forums) and would like to use these in Mac Mail. I've set up filters in Gmail to filter categories into Labels, but this makes it confusing when I need to access Gmail from a web client on a PC.

Has anybody successfully resolved this issue?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It might help to mention what web client is causing confusion. And what exactly is the confusion.

For the record, been doing this with Gmail accounts for ages, and works well for me, no issues.

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
It might help to mention what web client is causing confusion. And what exactly is the confusion.

For the record, been doing this with Gmail accounts for ages, and works well for me, no issues.
I just use gmail.com in Firefox - works the same in Chrome and other browsers. The trouble is, I have "trained" Gmail to put the incoming email into the proper categories, and I'd like Mac Mail to be able to recognize those.
Edit:
Because the Mac can't recognize Gmail "categories," I have rules set up in Gmail to put labels on all mail in each category. I can then see these labels on my Mac. But moving the Mac email from one of these new labels (for example, "Updates1") to another folder where I might want to store it (for examples, "Bills") leaves it with 2 labels. After a while, it's hard to know which mail to delete when it may have multiple labels in Gmail but I only want it in one folder in Mac mail.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Unfortunately, Google's IMAP implementation is not really standard vs how the rest of the world does it, so Gmail tends to mess things up outside of their silo.

I almost never use the Gmail web interface, so do not run into this (only use it to make new filters). But since I delete labeled emails (ie. not in Inbox) from the "All Mail" mailbox in Mac/iOS Mail, it deletes all the labeled copies.

Reactions: LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.