Using Gmail IMAP means Mail downloads spam too - viruses?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ToffeeApple, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ToffeeApple macrumors newbie

I've changed from using POP to using IMAP on my Gmail account, but it means that every day about 40 spam messages get downloaded to my Mac.

I'm worried about viruses etc. Can I stop Gmail doing it? Or make Gmail just delete the spam?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

Dude, there aren't any viruses to worry about. I have lots of spam too (I use gmail though apple mail). Just set the junk to erase on quit and you'll be fine.

3. ToffeeApple thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean?

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

He means just that, Mac has no viruses. Even if your spam has Windows viruses, they will have no affect on your Mac.

I also use Mail.app with GMail IMAP. The spam goes into my Junk folder. Cmd-Opt-J deletes it instantly.

5. ToffeeApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Macs have no viruses at the moment. I don't want to risk being one of the first to have my computer wiped.

And I also don't want to pass on Windows viruses.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude...

I understand your concern, but that is like wearing a raincoat and umbrella every day because there's a CHANCE it could rain. Doesn't seem worth it.

You won't pass on Windows viruses if you don't forward attachments, period.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It might be worth logging into GMail's web interface and marking these as spam within gmail so they don't get downloaded.

However i wouldn't worry as long as your mac catchs them as spam. Better to be safe than sorry though.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I personally don't feel like it's my responsibility to protect Windows users from viruses, regardless of their origin. I'm not installing a virus scanner on my Mac because the Windows OS has problems with them. Windows users can either manage their own virus protection, or switch to another OS like Linux or Mac. I don't have anything against Windows users, but their problems are their own, not mine.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

obviously you have different philosophy than the OP. So your suggestion might just not fit him..;)

To the OP, I sinserely think gmail is at its best when used through web-UI.

If you can't stand using it in a browser, try mozilla prism (if you are using firefox, or on Tiger 10.4), or fluid (if you are on Leopard and using safari). they offer an independent webapp for gmail(or any website).

[​IMG]

10. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I thought the reason IMAP was so good was that it didn't have to download all your unwanted messages.
    *Goes off to search the web*
    aha!
    There you are!
    You can also go into Mail's settings
    CMD +, -> Accounts -> Advance and tell mail not to store message attachments on locally.

Attached Files:

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

This link might help.