Using google apps on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jcorbin, Feb 19, 2014.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

So I personally don't like apple maps still. It has gotten progressively better. But there are still many POI's that are way off. So I've been using google maps. But in doing so I found that whenever I click on an address in another app it launches apple maps. So I downloaded chrome, gmail, and drive. I like that they can call each other vs using stock apps.

Does anyone else do this?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

how did you change that? I use apple maps and whenever i click a link it automatically launches google maps instead.

for example, I google and address and click directions. Instead of bringing up apple maps it brings up google's mobile site.

3. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well you're going to the google site. I'm saying when I click an address in safari from the vendors website or from an email it will launch stock. If you want to look up and address in apple maps why not do it in maps

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

b.c I may not know the address and google is the ultimate source for searching. I understand what you are saying, but you would think an iphone would launch apple apps from within safari. No matter what search engine you use it does not launch apple maps...really weird IMO.

I don't think you can fix your issue without a jailbreak.

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not having an issue. What I want works. I'm asking how many people do what I do

6. cynics macrumors G4

Using google apps on iOS

Yeah, they are bypassing an iOS restriction.

If for example you had that turned off and you clicked an address it would bring up maps.google.com and then on screen it would say "open in Google maps app?".

They bypass that step and open Google map app.

This only works with directions from Google. If you used Bing in Chrome and looked up directions you wouldn't get sent to the Google map app.

7. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I do that but if I need to get somewhere like "home" or xyz, I just ask Siri to take me home "via transit" and I have the option of waze, google maps and other possible apps that I can download in the App Store to route me where I am going.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Nice trick!

9. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

I do something similar although I prefer Mailbox for mail and Sunrise for calendar. Luckily those apps let me open stuff in Chrome and Google Maps. It seems like more and more 3rd party apps are letting users choose default apps which is great.

10. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

I do it between YouTube and Chrome. If there is a link in a YouTube video, it will open in Chrome instead of Safari. Which is more handy for me

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I actually don't understand why Apple doesn't let you pick the apps you want to use for things.

You already bought the phone. You are already a customer. They have your money. Might as well let you use Google Maps by default if you want!

12. c0LdFire macrumors regular

They still have the chance of ad revenue by you using their apps. So, you're right - they already have your money from buying the device, and you going out and buying a different phone over something like this is a negligible risk, so why not make a bit more off of you?

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Because the link on google is a special link that takes you directly to the google maps website. I download the google search app, there is a setting in there to use apple maps instead of the google website or google maps app.