Using Google Calendar

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by AppDev., Jan 16, 2013.

1. AppDev., Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

AppDev. macrumors newbie

I'm not 100% sure that this is the right place for this, but there doesn't appear to be anybody on the Google forums.

My company wanted to make an app, in which one feature would be a special calender. We were thinking of using Google Calender for this. A few things would need to be possible, however, and we were wondering if they were. When reading this, please know that I am not the programmer, and so I will probably not understand any code.

1. It would have to be able to give Google Calender notifications when there is an event.
    2. In the notification, there would have to be an ability to add pictures. I know that this is not a default function, and you need to enable attachments with Google Labs. I was wondering if there might be some way to add this for an app (for any smartphone. We were planning on Android and maybe iPhone). Also, it would be nice to be able to automatically have the text bigger.
    3. It would need to be able to be programmed remotely (which I'm almost positive is possible, I'm just making sure).

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

3. AppDev. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I added a new part to the OP. Please reread

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Ok lets try this again.

1. In terms of notifications do you want to push them to the people using the app?
    2. If using push notifications you are not able to send a picture, you would have push out that there is a new event and when the app is loaded handle the notification to allow the user to add a new picture to the event. For the text size what text are you specifically referring to?
    3. In terms of programming do you mean writing the app or just creating new events?

5. AppDev. thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Yes, to the people using the app.
    2/3. I see. We were thinking of letting somebody put events into Google calendar, and then the person with the phone would get the notification by logging into their account (e.g. Sally puts events into Google calendar. Her mother is able to receive these events as notifications because Sally helped log her mother into that account on the app). If it is not possible to put pictures into the notification through Google Calendar, we might want to make some program that remotely puts a picture into the notification. Although, the picture part is not a big deal, so we won't go through too much trouble for it. As for text size, I meant the text of the notification. If not the notification on the lock screen (which would be preferred), I suppose we could make it have larger text on the app after they view the notification.

6. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Well number one you would have to have some sort of server listening to you google calendar changes to send out pushes but it could be done.

As for number 2 and 3, You can set up the ability for someone to put events into the calendar and then the listener server sees the new events and sends out the push. As for the images to the event. They cannot be sent in a push but normal api's, you would have to send a notification and when the user opened the notification your app would fetch the image and display it. You are not able to change the size of the lock screen text notification. You would have to make the appearance to your liking after they open the notification.

7. AppDev. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't the Google Calendar recieve the notification and be able to push it through its own servers?

8. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That may be the case but your app has to have a server to push your own notifications. You cannot use googles server to push out data, there is no way to identify device to account other than use APNS from Apple.

9. AppDev. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, okay. Thanks for replying so quickly.