Using Google Chrome on an iPhone 5: Links don't work in "desktop view"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by football2006, Mar 12, 2013.

1. football2006 macrumors newbie

When in "desktop view" while using Google Chrome on an iPhone 5, links on google.com are not clickable.

While still in "desktop view," links on other sites work just fine. While in mobile view (before "Request[ing] Desktop Site"), there are no issues with opening links on google.com.

I would love to be able to use Chrome regularly and maintain the much preferred "desktop" view.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

(I posted this same message in iPhone-General. I'm not sure where the thread should be located, so I apologize if this is incorrect practice.)

2. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Are you using the very latest version released today (March 12th)?

I have no trouble accessing links within the search engine in Desktop View. What I have trouble now is returning to mobile view =P

3. football2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response. I am now using the updated version and the problem is persisting.

Tapping on a link highlights the link (the color changes from blue to orange), and holding on the link brings up the choices of opening it in a new tab / copying it.

Links work very, very rarely (maybe 1 in 200 taps) and it seems to be most effective when just getting to google.com and it might have something to do with my level of zoom.

Again thank you for any assistance!

4. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

I was just able to reproduce the problem you referred to even with the latest Chrome version. IDK why but I did not have this problem before.

To summarize, in "Request Desktop Site" mode, the Goolge Chrome app will not access any Google results after a Google search.

I guess this is either a bug on the side of the Chrome app, or - what is more probable - a way for Google to prevent mobile devices to accessing its results as computer devices due to statistical reasons.