Using Google for everything vs. iCal, iMail, Safari, etc..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueprint1983, Feb 25, 2010.

1. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

So, I'm noticing that I am integrating Google into, well, just about everything Apple already does.

Now, the problem isn't Google nor is it Apple, but the REDUNDANCY between the two.

I use gmail and iMail

I use Safari and Chrome

I use iCal and Google Calendar

Also all that stuff again, only with my iPhone too now lol.

Syncing between all these applications isn't perfect but it's getting there.

I guess what I'm asking is that, are you finding yourself having a war with applications and redundancy?

If so, how did you solve it?

Thanks

2. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I was having a similar experience. I switched everything to google and used the browser more than Apple apps because the sync is not quite perfect, as you stated. I just switched back. I am looking to get an iPad so that's my main reason to switch back to Apple based. Otherwise, Google was working quite well for me.

4. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I definitely get you especially with how well integrated the hardware is to the software. Apple stuff works well with Apple stuff lol.

5. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I have no issues synching my Google calander with iCal, my gmail with Mail, my Google contacts with Address Book, and all of them with my iPhone.

So I guess I have no issues with redundency at all. I use the Apple apps on my Mac and Google's browser versions when I am not.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm way too leery of Google trying to be the new Microsoft, except more Microsoft than Microsoft was. Therefore, I'm using Apple's stuff -- Mail, iCal, Address Book, etc. I have a gmail account, but it's far from my primary account.

7. curtisinoc, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

curtisinoc macrumors 6502

I'm a "soon-to-be-iMac" owner (first Mac and switching from decades of PC's) and have been wondering about this topic as well . . .

I also use everything "google" via web: google mail, calendar, contacts, reader (rss), chrome.... I have my iPhone synced to everything google via exchange.

When I get my iMac, is it possible to "sync" my "google" stuff with the native programs that come with the iMac?? Or should I continue to use "google" via web?

1. Will my google contacts sync with iMacs native contacts app and will any changes made to google contacts automatically sync with iMacs contacts? ie: if I add/delete or make a change to a contact from my iPhone, the change will automatically sync with my google contacts on computer. Will this change also happen within the iMacs native contacts automatically?

2. Will my google calendar do the same as above with iMacs native calendar app - iCal??

3. How about google mail and iMacs native email app - iMail??

To summarize: My iPhone and google contacts/calendar/emails sync both ways perfectly and
    wondering if there is a way for everything to sync in every direction: iPhone, google contacts/calendar/email and iMac's contacts/ical/imail . . . . . or should I just stick with using google stuff on web?

thanks