Using Google Mail with Mac Mail client - am I correct?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lankyman, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Right this should be simple and probably is but just want to confirm the confusing number of mailboxes I have in my Mac Mail sidebar - I'm using Gmail Imap for email through the Mac Mail client.

Example - starting at the top I have Inbox which I assume is a collective Inbox for all accounts? I then have my named Inbox below that e.g. Joe Public. Below that I have Drafts and below that I have the sent arrow with "sent" which again is a collective sent and below that sent for Joe Public (I know Google recommends not having the store sent messages on server but I like to see what I have sent so have it checked in Mac Mail behaviours). The next box on the list is Trash then Reminders. I also have both tick boxes in the trash behaviours section un-ticked as per Google recommendation?

The next header is "On my Mac" with the option to show or hide. When shown I have Joe Public "junk" mailbox. Now is this one created by Mac Mail or is this a Google box? I'm thinking it is a Mac Mail "junk folder". I have followed Google's advice by not ticking the "enable junk mail filtering" in "preferences", is this the correct thing to do and if so do I need to keep those boxes or can they be deleted?

Next on the list is Joe Public Google account and if I expand that I have all my Google server folders.

I wanted to make sure I am reading all this correctly as I don't want mail inadvertently ending up in the wrong folders as I have six different accounts to monitor.

Any advice would be welcome.

2. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

That is quite helpful thanks. Getting the folders just as you want them can be a bit of a faff though e.g. the recommendation is not to check the box for storing sent messages on the server. However, if you don't then the many many emails already sent will not appear in the new sent label, only in the gmail folders. I didn't want that as I hide all my gmail folders and just rely on the Mac Mail folders e.g. Inbox, Sent, Drafts and Trash a much cleaner solution - I think.