Using google maps abroad without data roaming

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by james-bailey, Dec 8, 2011.

1. james-bailey macrumors regular

Hey folks, im heading abroad at the weekend and very likely to be using Google Maps on my iPhone to be getting from A-B on foot around the city.

I obviously will be switching my data roaming off whilst there, so im guessing that the maps will not load like they would do if I was in my own country.

Is there any way of pre downloading a certain area to my phone, at street level, before I go?

This must be quite a common issue, what do you do?

Thanks

James

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Look for a free GPS app that pre-loads maps to the phone. Navfree GPS is one I've used before.

3. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I don't think the native app works that way. You would have to buy a 3rd party GPS app that stores maps on the phone (and supports the country you are visiting).

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

What country? I used gogo navigator in Japan. TomTom, Garmin and Navigon all have apps that will not use data.

5. james-bailey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, i'll look into those apps.

The city is Dublin.

I just like the simplicity of google maps when on foot you see.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

TomTom's UK & Ireland app is $75. Not cheap, but I am sure it would work great.

7. james-bailey thread starter macrumors regular

just looked on the app store, downloading 'Smart Apps - Dublin' looks just what im after, thanks!