Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suumessage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
NC
I am a novice with Google Drive. Should I get the version for Mac offered at the bottom of the page? What would be the advantage? Will that make it easier to use it to share and edit with Pages? Apparently documents have to be entered in docx, richtext, etc., but not Pages.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
If you install Google Drive on your desktop, it basically creates a folder that will be auto synced with your online Google Drive account. It would make it easy to edit the document in Pages, as you could save the files (in Pages format) in that folder and work on it from your desktop, laptop or iPad. You wouldn't be able to edit the file on the web in Google docs though, as I don't believe it can open a Pages file. If you want to be able to edit it in a browser, you'd be better off using iCloud.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
as the previous posters says google drive cannot edit pages files (the whole iwork suite as well) so all the collaboration features you may have heard it offers will not work for those files. it would purely be for file sharing.

what made you think of google drive with pages and what are you trying to do?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I am a novice with Google Drive. Should I get the version for Mac offered at the bottom of the page? What would be the advantage? Will that make it easier to use it to share and edit with Pages? Apparently documents have to be entered in docx, richtext, etc., but not Pages.

Use iCloud drive to share iWork documents (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) not Google Drive. The only drawback to using iCloud drive is the basic space allotment is only 5 GB, however, you can purchase more space if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.