Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Can I use GPS with Runkeeper on my series 1 watch while I still have my phone with me. For example in my workout tab I have the AW workouts with a map/weather etc and than my runkeeper ones don't have a map. Any way to use the Runkeeper app on my AW and get my phone to give me a map like it does for my AW workouts?

Thanks

slvr_srfr

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
Series 1 does not have built in GPS but series 2 does. You can use the GPS through your iPhone if you have it with you. If you have them together while you are running/walking, I would presume Runkeeper would provide a map.

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
Can I use GPS with Runkeeper on my series 1 watch while I still have my phone with me. For example in my workout tab I have the AW workouts with a map/weather etc and than my runkeeper ones don't have a map. Any way to use the Runkeeper app on my AW and get my phone to give me a map like it does for my AW workouts?

Thanks

This is not the fault of Runkeeper. Apple don't currently provide the ability for 3rd party apps to store route information with a workout. Hopefully this will change in future versions of watchOS.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
This is not the fault of Runkeeper. Apple don't currently provide the ability for 3rd party apps to store route information with a workout. Hopefully this will change in future versions of watchOS.
Are you sure about that? I use my Series 2 with NRC and map information gets sent to Nike's servers. I can see my route when I use the NRC app on the iPhone.

Unless you're talking specifically about seeing the map route when using the Activity app on the iPhone.

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
Are you sure about that? I use my Series 2 with NRC and map information gets sent to Nike's servers. I can see my route when I use the NRC app on the iPhone.

Unless you're talking specifically about seeing the map route when using the Activity app on the iPhone.

Yes, that's what I mean. The OP mentions an app with a Workout tab that contains both AW workouts and Runkeeper ones, so I assumed that he meant the Activity app.

There is nothing to stop apps like Nike displaying the routes in their own apps, but AFAIK Apple don't currently allow routes to be saved to the workouts shown in the Activities app. If it is possible then I would like to know how to do it because I am currently writing a workout app for the AW (one that displays a map whilst exercising).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.