Using Graphics Tablet with OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SailorTom, Jul 11, 2008.

1. SailorTom macrumors regular

Hey,

Anyone got a guide on using a Tablet with OS X? I know there is the ink preference pane but is this all you need to get started or does each tablet require it's own drivers?

I've been looking at Wacom tablets. this is going to be a group purchase and would be used mostly on Windows XP, but it'd great to know what sort of Mac compatibility there is.

FYI the group is working on a distance learning course so we want to recreate whiteboard presentations in powerpoint, or as a separate movie.

Any suggestions as to good mac compatible tablets would be great, and also a guide to what Ink actually does would be great :)

2. MotleyPete macrumors regular

The tablet software that comes with your Wacom will give you a preference pane for adjusting tilt, pressure, mapping, buttons and stuff like that. I use my tablet for 3D modeling and Photoshop painting, but I also use it for everything else on my Mac. It's completely awesome.

As for 'Ink', that preference pane allows you to write rather than type and then converts the text into type. I haven't personally found it to be of any use.

3. kostia macrumors regular

Definitely buy a Wacom. The Mac preference pane software comes with it and installs like a dream.

Buy the largest tablet you can afford. You won't regret it. Buy at least the Intuos level, not the lowest consumer level.