Using HandBrake and VLC Media Player to RIP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AK10R, Apr 5, 2011.

1. AK10R macrumors regular

I’m trying to figure out how to rip DVD movies to watch on my iPad. I did a search and tried following what was posted there. I am doing something wrong.

I’m using windows XP and have down loaded Handbreak and then VLC Media player. I have done a google search for step by step and nothing I am doing works.

I have opened Handbrake after downloading VLC media player. I have selected the DVD drive in the source menu. Handbrake just keeps reading scanning 9 of 99, over and over again. When I look at the activity window it shows several 9 of 99, then error then several 9 of 99 then error……. And on and on.
    I have selected to save the dvd in handbrake….. nothing it working

It seems that Handbreak does not know that I have VLC….. or I don’t have the correct VLC. When I did download VLC it asked me if I wanted uninstall my older version of VLC so I did.

If anyone would be able to show me where I may find a step by step by step………

2. gospel9 macrumors regular

Edit: ok so AirVideo does support VOB files. You just need to find an app that can rip the VOB from your DVD.

3. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It may be possible that you have tow different bit versions of the programs installed? IE: one is 32 bit and the other is 64. If I were you I would un-install both and start over downloading both and running the install again. The two should automatically play nice and work the way it's supposed to.

4. cdinca macrumors 6502

Walk away...then come back 20 minutes later.

Handbrake often takes near forever to get past that stage with many errors being common. I have encountered a few DVDs that Handbrake won't read, but most eventually work.

5. AK10R thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I uninstalled both programs and am going to wait till tomorrow to download them again. I would not survive another failed attempt tonight……. :eek: