Using Handbreak - What is the best PRESET for quality? - HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Dec 2, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

Hi everyone. Using Handbreak what is the best quality I can rip a long DVD? which preset should I select?

Thanks,

Josh

2. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

Just use the Normal preset, DVDs aren't great quality to begin with.

This really should be in the Applications section. Just because you are using Handbrake on your MacBook does not mean that it should be posted in the MacBook/Pro section.

4. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

something over 2000kbps and 1920x1080?? should take up about 30GB

5. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

I said preset.
    Sorry STU.

Anyone else?

6. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

It depends what you want to do with the resulting file. I'd say that the AppleTV preset is a good one; it gives you good quality for full screen mode in larger displays. But, on the other hand, if you want something good and not too big, then the iPod-Hi res should do the trick; it gives good quality for a reasonable file size.

The other option you might have is to play around with it with one chapter of any movie you have and encoding them in the various presets to see which one you like best. I'll take about 10min (depending on your system) to do and those are files that are easily comparable. :cool:

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

That wasn't me for one thing. And for another, I answered your damn question, use the NORMAL preset. It is the one on the side, labelled NORMAL... it kicks the bitrate to 1500Kbps, and the codec is set to mp4 h264 with AAC i believe. The resultant file is over 2GB/hour of movie.

8. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Jesus, all I did was apologized. I said the preset thing to the other poster, holy ****.
    But thanks.
    i'll try it.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

All I said was damn... see, that is the problem with text, no intonation available.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the best IMHO for quality and file size is MPEG-4 H.264 at 2400kbps. this is what apple uses for movies in the itunes store. if your mac isnt very fast and youd like faster encoding speeds try without H.264.

for me i get 1-2GB from >4.7GB DVD titles on a double layer disk.