Using handbreaker to convert videos!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarkies, Aug 17, 2011.

1. snarkies macrumors newbie

Hello!

I recently downloaded handbreaker to convert .avi movies to iPhone format, but converting them takes soo much time on my pc. What configurations should I use to make the converting faster? I like cliked the default settings in Handbreak for iphone, but those take too much time for something to convert.

2. rkheyfets macrumors regular

how long is too long and what are the specs of you computer?

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

1. Don't convert anything.
    2. Download AVPlayer from the App Store.
    3. Put your .avi files on the iPhone using iTunes.
    4. Watch the videos.

4. staeit macrumors member

What I do is use mkv2mp4. AVPlayer and similar tools will use software decoding to play avi/xvid files. However if you watch 720p mkv TV, using this tool will remux the video and audio streams into an mp4. The advantage of this is that the video file can be played with the iPhone's hardware decoder - it can in most cases be added into the native iPod app. The only thing that takes time in this case is that with most 720p tv shows the audio is ac3 5.1, and it needs to be downmixed to aac 2.0 - but since video is just remuxed no quality is lost and watching 720p videos on the iPhone's display is quite an experience!

5. snarkies thread starter macrumors newbie

Glee TV show episode: 3 - 5 hours.. Quite old computer not worth to name the specs. ;D

6. snarkies thread starter macrumors newbie

Which setting affects the ability to add the file to itunes? Because I changed some settings and after converting I wasn't able to add it to itunes. :(

7. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

That pretty much says it all. Handbrake is very processor intensive. Old equipment = slow results.

8. snarkies thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder how much time it takes on macbook? :)
    Few minutes? :apple:

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Merkie has already mentioned that you do not need to convert.

10. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

To convert a 22 minute (half hour - commercials) show on my mid 2010 MBP i7 it takes about 18 minutes.

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

And yet everyone still wants to. :confused:

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Well for people who like to keep a lot of vides on their phone conversion is quite often a must.
    Remuxing solves the compatibility issue but it still leaves a huge file (assuming the original was huge).
    Yes it takes a lot longer but conversion lets one balance quality vs file size.

BTW, the program is called Handbrake not Handbreaker
    ;)

13. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

On my SR MBP I can do a 100 min movie in about an hour if I'm not doing anything else. Usually when I use handbrake that's all I let the computer do at that time.. It does get nice and hot though...

I never knew you didn't need to convert the movies though.. I thought they had to be in mp4 format...

James

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Perhaps he doesn't want to run down his phone's battery faster than he has to. Crazy, I know.