Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andi90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
So I was just sent my new SSD to replace my HD and I bought the tools needed (T6 and 00) and all was going well. Removed HD without issue but my HD had no T6 Torx screws on it - it had just been sitting in place.

When I'd purchased the MBP I'd gotten a larger HD at the store, which they had installed for me prior to purchase, so I'm guessing they just didn't swap over the screws. My new SSD didn't come with any either.

I put the new SSD in, and put the MBP together again, but I feel a little uncomfortable about it. Will it be alright?

Can anyone tell me the specifics of the T6 screws used to I can maybe try and order some online? I looked around the local hardware stores but they had nothing like that at all.

Andi90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Larger in memory not larger in physical size, upgraded to a 640GB from a 320GB or something like that. I'm guessing they were just slack and didn't switch the mounting screws over? Since then I have been there with computer problems and they do seem somewhat incompetent.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The screws should be fine as long as they are the normal 2.5in HDDs.
Can you tell me what company your SSD is from? i.e. Samsung, Intel, M4, etc

Andi90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
My SSD is an Intel.

The problem is that there are no mounting screws at all. If I had some I'd imagine they would fit fine. The drive fits the space well but it's a little jiggly, as one would expect.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It won't really matter much for the SSD, but I would have been a bit annoyed with the store for not using the shock mounts for your HDD upgrade.

Andi90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
It won't really matter much for the SSD, but I would have been a bit annoyed with the store for not using the shock mounts for your HDD upgrade.

I am a bit annoyed, especially considering my hard drive has pretty much failed less than two years after I bought it... I'm sure part of it was my own damage but that really didn't help.

I've found some mounting screws on ebay, they look right, but I don't really know. Should I buy them or just leave it or try and find something from Apple?

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
I am a bit annoyed, especially considering my hard drive has pretty much failed less than two years after I bought it... I'm sure part of it was my own damage but that really didn't help.

I've found some mounting screws on ebay, they look right, but I don't really know. Should I buy them or just leave it or try and find something from Apple?

You could visit an Apple Store and explain the situation.
Because hard drive is considered as user replacement part,
they could just give you the necessary screws. Or help you to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.