using HDD from external enclosure in RAID array

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jeeplj8, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jeeplj8 macrumors member

I am thinking of buying a couple fo these just for the drives:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...414-Index-_-ExternalHardDrives-_-22178587-L0D

that $32 per TB which is the cheapest I have seen on any HDD. I am sure these are Seagate 5400 5tb drives - though I cannot find a regular desktop model with these specs.

In other words, not the best HDD.

My plan is to install several (3) in a tower raid array. I will probably ebay the enclosures if they are worth anything.

Basic question, are these drives worth the money?

2. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

I've done this trick before - Costco had 4TB Seagate externals for $30 less than Newegg wanted for the bare drive.

Due to the high data density, the sequential bandwidth is pretty good even at 5900.

Three caveats:
    1. There's no warranty on the drive if you remove it from the case
    2. The case is next to impossible to open without damaging the clips - forget about selling them except as damaged property
    3. They are not RAID edition drives

3. jeeplj8 thread starter macrumors member

going for a different drive

I think I will pas son these, the capacity is great for the price but I am concerned about seagate drives in general after reading the reviews on newegg of their bare drives.

I am using 3 of the Toshiba 3tb drives in my mac pro, I think I will stick with those. I can generally find them right 100 per drive is pretty close per TB.