Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hello all,

I would like to be able to connect my MacBook Pro, to a TV using a HDMI Cable.

Can someone please tell me which adapter I need, I have seen it described as a Mini Display Port (Mini DP) to HDMI, however on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) I cannot see a Mini Display Port, I have USB, Firewire, Ethernet or Lightning Ports.

Is the Mini Display Port the same as the Firewire Port?

A bit confused here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
however on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) I cannot see a Mini Display Port, I have USB, Firewire, Ethernet or Lightning Ports.
What you name as "Lightning Ports" is Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort is compatible with that.
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

from
No. Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt differs from Firewire.
2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Hello all,

I would like to be able to connect my MacBook Pro, to a TV using a HDMI Cable.

Can someone please tell me which adapter I need, I have seen it described as a Mini Display Port (Mini DP) to HDMI, however on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011) I cannot see a Mini Display Port, I have USB, Firewire, Ethernet or Lightning Ports.

A bit confused here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thunderbolt = minidisplayport + pcie

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

FYI on the Monoprice TB adapters...whilst they're very well priced, I think they will damage the ports when frequently used.

It happened to me from using a Monoprice TB > DVI adapter and had to get it fixed.

I might be in the minority, but I figured it's worth mentioning. I would recommend the retail Apple adapter if you are frequently going to be inserting/removing with that adapter.

spartacvs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Get this from Amazon, don't get it from the Apple store because it's a rip off. I used this and it's great so far no issue at all. It's 10 feet, but they also have 6 and 15 feet cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.