Using Hong Kong iPhone 4 in the States, need data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plucesiar, Jun 25, 2011.

1. plucesiar, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

plucesiar macrumors newbie

I want to find a no-contract monthly plan to use in the States for the Hong Kong iPhone 4 I received as a gift. Looking for a talk+text+data plan, and I use data quite a bit. I thought that the Hong Kong iPhone came carrier-unlocked, but the other day at the mall I visited several of the major cell phone service retailers and they all said that I can use the phone only under AT&T and T-mobile, and the latter will only put me on their EDGE network. Apparently this is because AT&T and T-mobile are the only GSM network providers (ie. provides a SIM card) whereas the other carriers use another protocol called CDMA that don't have SIM cards?

Is this true, or is there any way around it? Eg. can I use my phone with a plan from Virgin Mobile? Some people mentioned on other threads to use AT&T GoPhone prepaid plans on the iPhone, but the data included is not enough for my use.

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

If you want no contract monthly then call AT&T they can set u up. It won't be cheap.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

The cheap AT&T option is a go phone smartphone plan. It is prepay, walk away when you want to. They can do it for iPhone now.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

And yes AT&T and t mobile are the only ones you can use here for that phone, and on t mobile you only get edge, their 3G is a different frequency.