Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bern1812

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
well i just got my mac a few days ago and im really liking it. Ive been using Adium to use MSN messenger and i like how simple it is, but i dont get any updates about email from it like i would using MSN Messenger 7 which i am kinda missing. I have tried setting up hotmail on Mail and i downloaded some patch that came up when i googled using hotmail on it, and it set up the account, but it wont import my inbox and such. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Good integration with Gmail
Not so much with HotMail... kinda hit and miss with every update

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

bern1812

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
well i still couldnt get it to work, but i did get it to work with my school email account, so i got all my important notifications sent to that email. works pretty well so far

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Good integration with Gmail
Not so much with HotMail... kinda hit and miss with every update
IMO, that's exactly it.

Unless you want to keep figuring out ways of rigging Hotmail to work, I'd really consider getting a gmail account. Free IMAP makes accessing your email (and keeping everything in sync) from virtually any device a piece of cake.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
IMO, that's exactly it.

Unless you want to keep figuring out ways of rigging Hotmail to work, I'd really consider getting a gmail account. Free IMAP makes accessing your email (and keeping everything in sync) from virtually any device a piece of cake.

I use IziMail and get perfect push to Mail and my iPhone from my Hotmail account 100% of the time.;)

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
do you have

to pay to upgrade your hotmail acct so it can work on a mac...I think that is what I did with my sister's hotmail acct, to work with the mac mini

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I use IziMail and get perfect push to Mail and my iPhone from my Hotmail account 100% of the time.;)
Glad it works for you.

My roommate uses IzyMail and it seems like once or twice a month he's complaining that something went wrong.

Personally, I don't think that you should have to pay for/rely on a third-party hack to get your email. But that's just me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.