Using IBM USB Travel Keyboard on macbook pro unibody TrackPoint speed question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bongobongo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. bongobongo macrumors newbie

Hi.

I'm a web developer currently working on a win comp.

I also need a new laptop and took a look at the 13" and 15" unibody macbook pro's today.

I'm currently addicted to using this keyboard:
    http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-usb-travel-keyboard-5HM8.html?q=lenovo usb keyboard

That keyboard has a TrackPoint (or pointing stick) between the G, H and B keys, and the "left mouse key" is placed about an inch below the spacebar.

I plugged that keyboard into the MacBook Pro 13" and had it up and running in about a minute.

But one problem was that the speed of the TrackPoint was not as good as it is on my win computer.
    Which means that I have to push the TrackPoint a bit harder to move the mouse pointer....

I did set speed of the mouse to maximum in the Mac.

But did not see same speed on the mousepointer on screen.

Is there something I can do to make the TrackPoint more responsive on the MacBook Pro?

So why the USB Travel Keyboard you may ask.
    Note that I'm a fast writer and like the fact that when using the USB Travel Keyboard I do not have to move
    my hand as much as when using the touchpad on the Unibody MacBook Pro.
    The USB Travel Keyboard is simply in another league. (I'm not talking about the touchpad functionality, I never use that touchpad anyway)
    Please do not turn this into a discussion about why do I not just use the keyboard that comes with the MacBook Pro!!!!

Regards

2. bongobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if there is a way to make the TrackPoint move
    the mousepointer faster on the MAC?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You would need to install a driver for it in order to go any faster than Mac OSX's maximum.

You will need to check with IBM to see if they offer Mac drivers (I doubt it).

4. bongobongo thread starter macrumors newbie

AFAIK they do not.

Is there not any place on the MAC, something like advanced configuration or whatever where I could alter this speed?
    Or some thirdparty software out there that might enable such changes?

Regards

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak