Using iCarbons Carbon Fiber Skin and Speck Shell together

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mfuchs88, May 25, 2012.

1. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Hey guys. So I have a late 2011 Unibody MacBook Pro and I am currently using an iCarbons carbon fiber skin and before I was using the Speck See Thru Satin case and I was wondering if there would be any potential dangers of using the two in combination. My reason for doing so would be for the dent and drop protection of the Speck case, but avoiding and scratches of dirt particles that may get under the case by using the carbon fiber skin. The only problems I could think of is that it might overheat, or it might be too tight and could possibly warp the shape of my computer, especially the lid, over a long period of time. I was just wondering if any of you had done this or something similar before and what your results were, or if you guys had any other suggestions or comments. Thanks so much everybody!

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

As long as you do not cover the vents at the back you should be good on heat. Download a fan controller and monitor your average temps before and after if you do (if you are OCD)

As for display warping after time... I cant help you there. Whenever mine gets bent out of whack I literally use a hammer to get it back into shape. Probably not the smartest idea, but its been working thus far! :D

3. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi,

You are very right about the Speck cases scratching & marking the case of the UMBP - happened to me on my last 17" model. If you do not have a 17" model, then I suggest you look at the Incase shells - much better than Speck in this regard imho.

For the 17" UMBP, the only hard shell option is Speck & I just got a new one on my last one, the bottom shell started to crack very badly in multiple places. I was thinking of doing exactly the same as you as I just got a new 17" model & did not want the Speck shell to scratch the hell out of my new laptop. What I have done is lined the case with a very thin lint free perforated sheet cut to shape & then attach the Speck case - works very well & have noticed no heat issues or higher temps at all - hope that helps!

Bazzy!

4. mfuchs88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply Bazzy! I appreciate the insight and I really like the idea of using a linen to line the case with. The only reason I was asking about this specific skin however is because I got it for free from a company to do a review on and I really like it and don't want to take it off, but I want to put my Speck case back on once it gets back to me form being RMA'd. Thanks so much for the great idea though, I'll probably use it once I take this skin off. :)