Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sffa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Hi -- I work at home, and have to be on my corporate Cisco VPN all day to get email. I also want to use ichat, but the VPN does not let that happen. It's impractical to be disconnecting and reconnecting all day to use both apps.

How can I create a separate channel that the my apps and browser user, and have only my email going over the VPN? Ideally, just my exchange email, since I also have my gmail in entourage but I can't DL that either when my VPN is on....

using macbook pro on 10.6

/thanks

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
You will have to speak with your network administrator. The Cisco VPN server device delivers a policy to your computer whilst you're connected which controls the extent of the VPN. Whilst Cisco concentrators support split-tunneling (only specified traffic types get encrypted, everything else follows the normal path to the Internet) it is considered a security risk by most network admins to implement the feature, myself included. Therefore it's most likely they will say that you can't do this, but it never hurts to ask.

lkirkup

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Try changing the port to 443.

In iChat make sure you are offline then goto

iChat > Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings > Port > 443

It should connect now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.