Using iChat, Skype, Google talk behind college proxy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cavfan314, Mar 8, 2009.

1. cavfan314 macrumors newbie

I am studying for a year in South Africa and using internet behind a college proxy. Beyond the annoyances of only having 300 MB/month of internet, I am especially frustrated because I can't use skype, ichat, or google talk to stay in touch with people back home.

I've tried everything; With skype, i downloaded authoxy, which corrects for the fact that skype takes its proxy settings from the network settings (I'm not a computer expert so I may have that wrong, but regardless, I followed the directions and tinkered with it some more and it failed). Then I downloaded the beta version of the latest skype, per customer support directions, and still no luck--i can't even sign on.

The same goes for iChat. Even google talk, which operates within the browser, will only allow text chat. When I try voice or video, it fails.

None of this happens to students with a pc. I'm really frustrated and would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

2. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

3. cavfan314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that did the trick!

Now my problem is that i think my connection is too slow to hold a conversation on skype. Even on the echo call, i only get bits and pieces. Any suggestions?