using ichat video in final cut pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

So I was a funeral the other day and I decided to record the services for folks who couldn't attend. It was a last second decision as I had my macbook pro there to show the video tribute I made.

I recorded on the highest settings possible through 'conference recorder' which is a recording add-on for ichat.

The video looks ok given it's a webcam and the sound is pretty good.
    My issue is that a shorter clip of 15 minutes seems to work fine in fcp, but a longer clip of 45 minutes losing A/V sync. The video is 20.97 fps and mpeg-4 and my fcp sequence is set to 29.97 ntsc. Could this be the issue? I realize viewing quality might not be the greatest, but it's the speeches which matter the most.

The sync issue happens after rendering if that matters. I can't tell if it's there before b/c i can't see it. but playing the video quicktime (before editing), is fine.

I've never done this before so any advice is welcome. My goal is to add this file to a DVD for the family along with the slideshow. If transferring to DVD doesn't work, I could add the services as the normal quicktime file in a data capacity for the DVD. The only issue there is some older folks won't want or know how to play it on a computer where they'd like it viewable on the tv.

Cheers,
    keebler

2. slantze macrumors newbie

that's a way to think on your feet

Howdy Keebler,

I understand what you're saying about losing sync after 15 minutes. As I'm thinking about your issue and reading that it happens after the 15 minute mark, maybe if you split your video into 10-15 minute segments, then you may be able to avoid the syncing issues you have now.

Just a thought. So instead of of having 1 file that is 1 hour long, you'll have 6 video segments 10 minutes long that you string together in FCP and render.

It might work. Good Luck.

3. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

bingo