Using iCloud beta, can I delete all the apps on my computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Guitarboy315, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Guitarboy315 macrumors member

As many of you know, iOS apps take up a lot of space on your computer and you can't even use them! Now that I am using the iCloud beta, does that mean that I can just delete all of them and they will be stored "in my cloud" when I need them on my iPhone, iPad and even my MacBook (don't know why I would even need them on my MacBook... but)? Or does the cloud still have some connection with my computer? I would love to get rid of all of those memory eaters from my HD. Thanks!

2. M87 macrumors 65816

I think so. It has always been the case that you can redownload apps as many times as you want, now it's just easier. So I dont see any reason to store a copy on your computer. The only problem would be apps that no longer exist in the app store.

3. Bear macrumors G3

What do you call a lot of space? I don't even have a half gig of iOS apps on my computer.

I'd suggest that the ones you're no longer using can be deleted and then re-downloaded if needed.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

well clearly you dont have navigon/tomtom then or fifa or the big games.. i think my apps total 25gb tbh

5. Guitarboy315 thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha ihonda, I have tomtom and it takes up like 5 gigs in addition to some other large games.

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

yes, you always could delete them from your computer and still have the ability to redownload them for free if you needed. The only reason I see to keep the apps you want and use would be to use itunes to organize your homescreens. I find organizing the homescreens using itunes much easier than the touch/hold/drag on the device itself.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Considering iOS 5 is suppose to be PC Free, I would assume that No you don't have to keep the Apps on your Mac anymore.