Using iCloud password to log in to OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by job2, Dec 21, 2015.

1. job2 macrumors newbie

I like the idea of only having to remember one password to everything Apple related. But what happens if I change my iCloud password? Will it get synchronized automatically or will I need update it manually on my Mac, e.g. by re-enabling usage of a local password and then switch back to iCloud? If not, it would require my Mac to have an Internet connection when booting up so that it's able to synchronize the password to reflect that of my iCloud, right?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before turning this feature on?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you switch to using the iCloud password for your login that will be synced over the Internet. If you change the iCloud PW from another device that change will get synced to all devices. If one device is not on the Internet it will continue to use the old iCloud password until it gets on the Internet again.

3. job2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense. Any pitfalls I need to know about?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The only issue I can think of is if you forget that password and can't recover it from Apple you would be locked out of both your Mac and the iCloud account.