Using IE on the Ipad 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wayneholbrook, Apr 5, 2011.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately my government job has a site that I must sign into daily but it only works with Internet Explorer.

Does anyone know of a way to use IE on the ipad? I’m sure there is a way if I jailbreak it, but is that the only way?

2. WallpaperPerson macrumors member

WallpaperPerson

There is no way. That software has only been developed for Windows and even if it was for Mac too(it used to be though), the iPad isn't the right architecture to run the dreaded browser.

3. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Unfortunately you should use a Windows PC for that.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Probably some antiquated ActiveX-based site. Was at Wright Patt base for awhile and it was tortuous trying to use a non-Windows XP system there. Unfortunately its impossible unless you VNC/TeamView into your Windows PC either on-base or at home (remote access)?

5. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Give the app Terra a shot (free). It can be identified as IE6. I'm not real techy.. not sure if that will work, but worth a shot!

6. jbartusch macrumors newbie

jbartusch

Unfortunately Terra does just that (identifies itself as IE6) which can help with style sheets on some sites that do not display correctly. However, we have some web apps that only work with IE and Terra will still not address the technical limitation of that site.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You can VPN into your home computer and do it remotely.

8. number84 macrumors 6502

I thought Atomic browser could spoof the headers to make it look as if it's running from IE, Safari, etc.

9. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Yes, Atomic Web can be set to identify as Firefox, IE, Desktop Safari, etc. If the issue is that the site is doing header parsing to determine browser versions and will only allow those identified as IE to log in then Atomic would work.

However, if the site requires ActiveX then there's no way you're going to get that to work on iOS.

10. EricJD macrumors regular

Your best bet is to just remote into a computer that's actually running Windows.

11. kashinathn macrumors newbie

Use LogMeIn

Use LogMeIn iPad application from that you can remote desktop your home pc.
    It's as good as working on home laptop in iPad. You can remote desktop any pc where security is allowed.

12. Username02 macrumors regular

This is what do. My job requires access to IE also.

13. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The Bing app uses the IE engine. You could mess around with it and see where it takes you.