Using iMac as 2nd display for MacBook Air

Discussion in 'iMac' started by N0ddie, Jul 24, 2014.

1. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

First post in quite a while. Anyhoo.

I'm currently downloading the Yosemite beta onto our MacBook Air that doesn't get that much use.

I want to use my 27" iMac as a 2nd display for the Air so that I can experience Yosemite on my iMac display (Don't wanna run my main home computer, the iMac, on Yosemite just in case).

With the 2 devices connected through Thunderbolt I can enter the iMac into 2nd screen mode using the CMD + F2 keys. The iMac works fine and dandy as the 2nd display however I cannot get the thing out of 2nd screen mode by pressing the CMD + F2 keys like it should.

The only way I can regain control of the iMac is by turning it off at the power button

Am I doing something stupidly wrong?

Any advice?

2. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

If it goes into Target Display Mode using command-F2 then it should go out using the same key command. It might be a Mavericks bug. Make sure to hold down the command key and then hit the F2 key. Sometimes it takes a few presses with my set up for some reason.

Instead of powering down you iMac you should be able to leave TDM just by disconnecting the thunderbolt cable from either Mac for a second and then you can reconnect it after TDM quits.

3. N0ddie thread starter macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Cheers for the suggestion.

Will give it a go tomorrow.

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

According to Apple, Command-F2 should get you out too and "better" than just unplugging the TB cable.

"6. How do I exit TDM?

To leave TDM, press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac that is in TDM. You can also exit TDM if you shutdown or sleep either computer or detach the cable."

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

TDM has always been a bit hit and miss on my 21.5" iMac running Mavs. It always has! Never seems to have a problem going into it, it's getting out that's the issue.

I've heard somewhere that the iMac locks and needs the password entering to come out of TDM, but doesn't bring the screen up to allow you to see what you are doing.

Can't find a ref for the above atm!