Using Imac as a monitor only?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by myke323, Jun 14, 2007.

1. myke323 macrumors regular

Is there any possible, conceivable way to use my 20" imac as the display for my macbook pro?

Oh, and by any possible, conceivable way I actually don't mean thru like emulation or something, i just mean straight up using it as the display...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

AFAIK, there is no way to accomplish this, since there is no 'video-in' port.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The only way is through something like an EyeTV, which seems to violate your "emulation" requirement, since it would display in a window on the iMac.

5. myke323 thread starter macrumors regular

k, thanks... i didn't think there was a way, but just wanted to make sure...

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're not the first person...

7. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I have seen it done with a CRT g3 imac, I'm sure there is a way with the current generation. Definitely not without dismantling, and probably soldering. Its not hard with a G3.

8. numlock macrumors 68000

has there ever been an official comment on why they havent made this available?

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I feel that this is something that should definitely be included. It would make the imac a lot more useful especially as they get bigger screens. If they end up with a 30" iMac, it would be great to use that screen for a variety of other products (laptop, console, HDDVD player, etc) instead of having to purchase a separate screen.