Using iMac as a wireless Router for XBox Live

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tycegn, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Tycegn macrumors newbie

I have read a few forums and walkthroughs where a lot of people, often everyone, eventually had sucess in connecting their XBox 360 to their mac and accessing Live. I have tried everything I can find to make this work. Here is what I have done:

I am running Leopard and using a Linksys Router. I began with the following:

On the iMac:
    Ethernet Connection (manual)
    IP: 10.0.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Airport IP:192.168.1.100

On XBox:
    IP: 10.0.0.2
    Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS: My Routers WAN IP (found on whatsmyip.org)

Next, I tried changing the settings to the following

On XBox:
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS: 192.168.1.100

Last, I tried using making the primary and secondary DNS addresses the same. Every time I have the same problem.... it fails when testing the DNS........ PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!!

2. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

3. Tycegn thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it... no luck

...Yeah, I tried this just now as well... I tried this one other time, but I tried again to make sure... Still fails on "DNS."

4. Tycegn thread starter macrumors newbie

SOLUTION!!! (Problem is when you have windows on a partition)

Okay, so I finally figured out the solution. There are a few ways that have worked for different people, so I will do my best to explain what I have found to be the most reliable for others and what my problem was.

Okay, so here is what you need to do.

First, rather than using terminal to find your IP address, you need to do the following

1. Open up your network preferences and click on "Ethernet" on the left hand side.

2. Plus your ethernet cord into the back of both your XBox360 and your mac.

3. Change the network from DHCP to manual.

4. Use the following numbers:
    IP: 10.0.0.1
    LEAVE THE REST BLANK

5. Click on AirPort on the left hand side of the screen and right down the the IP address that AirPort is using (for me, using a Linksys router, it was 192.168.1.100).

Next, you will need to click on the "show all" button in the upper left corner of the preferences pane and do the following.

1. Click on "Sharing" in the system preferences pane, and select "Internet Sharing"

2. Make sure you are sharing inter FROM AirPort TO Ethernet. (DO NOT SELECT anything similar to en2, en3, etc.)

3. QUIT SYSTEM PREFERENCES and go to the Apple in the upper left corner of the screen. Click on "About this Mac." Click on network on the left had side and look for the IP address of your router and write it down. (ex. Linksys is 192.168.1.1, DLink is 192.168.0.1)

NOW YOU ARE DONE WITH THE YOUR MAC. Go to your xbox and do the following...

1. Go to system settings, then network settings.

2. Change the IP adress to manual and enter in these numbers:

3. Change the DNS to manual and enter these numbers:
    Primary: (Your wireless routers IP address, previously found using
    above method)
    Secondary: (for best results, use the IP address that Airport is using,
    found earlier in network settings, under "AirPort."

4. Run the network and... BOOM SAUCE... You are in business.

That is it. The problem that I was having took me a while to figure out, but it was back in the step of setting up internet sharing. When you have Windows installed on a partition (I use VMWare Fusion), your computer creates a virtual second ethernet port (in my case, en2.) So on my list in internet sharing, I had selected the virtual ethernet that Windows on the partition uses, rather than the actual ethernet port. Anyway, I found this due to another unrelated post, so yeah.

I have tried all the settings out there, and the one's above work the best. It is the best way to use your mac as a wifi router for your Xbox 360. It allows all game and system updates and runs fine with all my games. It does show a "moderate" NAT, but that has given me no problems.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You may need to make a minor change to get DHCP to answer faster for the XBox's pleasure, solution here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304&query=Xbox

This may solve the problem with DNS. You may also want to change the manual DNS settings to be those of your ISP's DNS.

I used this solution to use the ethernet port on my MBP to share internet access via a tethered BlackBerry for my 360. Once I made this change, it was all easy.