Using IMac as Base Station for Airport Express and Airtunes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sbowyer, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sbowyer macrumors newbie

I have a specific problem that I have tried to research and correct, but still no solutions. Here it is:

I currently have a wireless setup in my house using the iMac as a base station. I have this setup through the "Sharing" tab in System Preferences. I have an ITouch that I then connect to this network and surf the web downstairs, etc. It works great!

I purchased a new Airport Express that I want to plug in downstairs next to the stereo and then use Airtunes to play music over the stereo downstairs. This Airport Express would connect wirelessly to the IMac base station, just like the ITouch does. I also need to still be use the Itouch with this configuration.

So far, this has not worked at all. I plug in the Airport Express downstairs and the Airport Utility program does not recognize it at all. I rescan, I reset the Airport Express, etc. but nothing has worked yet. The only solution that seems to be offered is to get a seperate router upstairs to use as the base station, but I really don't want to spend the extra $$, I want to use the IMac, which I already have.

Is this setup even possible?? Your help is appreciated.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

try taking the express upstairs, and plug it in via ethernet, configure the express, then unplug the ethernet. If you unplug/replug from power, it should get a green light within a minute or 2. Once you've confirmed it works in the room, take it downstairs.

3. sbowyer thread starter macrumors newbie