Using iMac as display for Apple TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by A Macbook Pro, Jun 25, 2011.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I'm getting really interested in the Apple TV and it's wireless iPad mirroring and potential for gaming. Does anybody know if there is a way to use the iMac as a display for the Apple TV or can it only connect to an actual TV?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Currently iMac cannot be used as a display for non-Thunderbolt devices. We may see some adapter sooner than later though.

3. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Wouldn't playing it back on the iMac defeat the purpose of Apple TV. What you could do though is download Remote for your iPad so you can control the movie that is being played on your iMac

4. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

2 lines. That's all my thread was, and you didn't even bother to read it.

5. ThemacNub macrumors regular

I did read it, I just thought you meant media (TV shows, Movies, music) as well as gaming. But by all means bite my head for trying to help you.

6. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

To the OP, I think your Q has been answered but I'm curious why you want to use your iMac as a display for the ATV? Your iMac should be able to playback/display anything the ATV can so I'm missing the point here....?

7. ThemacNub macrumors regular

He wants to display the games he is playing on the iPad on to the iMac