Using iMac as display for PC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Titus, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Titus macrumors member

Apple's support is no longer great! I've been on hold to get this question answered and I've been pushed up to the third level.

I bought a new iMac 21.5 inch in 2015. I later found out it was manufactured in 2013.

Anyway, my simple question is can I use this iMac as a display for my PC and how do I do it?

I had a new PC built this year and it is powerful and full of features I need but I still use my iMac for photography and to coordinate all my Apple devices.

Thank you for any help.

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Have you seen this article? :)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204592
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2016 ---
    To save you some reading - Thunderbolt-era iMacs (2011 and later) can only display the output of another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac. Sorry, but it doesn't appear that you will be able to display your PC's content on you Mac.

3. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Yes it can. I also repurposed my 2010 27 inch (1440p) iMac as a monitor for my PC I just built. It plugs in via Display port and press command + F2 together to switch from iMac to PC. It's really nice and works well. I wanted to buy another iMac however it was not worth it.

Apple needs to update their iMac lines to 32 inch size. That feels like an upgrade after 6 years. I love my outdated 27 inch iMac and the display is really nice. I'll probably get a separate monitor in the future. But for now I have the internals I want from a PC (GTX 980) plugged into an iMac.

"Target display mode" is the name of the feature the iMac has for external support.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The OP stated he has a 2013 iMac. It will only support Thunderbolt, not DisplayPort, connections.

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 19.01.24.png
    Taken from the article I linked in the last post.

5. Titus thread starter macrumors member

support said there was a way around it and they sent me a link that didn't even relate to it. I'm very frustrated.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

According to this

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/ins-outs-imacs-target-display-mode/

You will need a thunderbolt equipped PC and a thunderbolt cable.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In defense of Apple, you're asking for something that is very much out of left field, i.e., not anywhere near a typical usage scenario or support call. The clear majority of people, AFAIK, use an iMac as a computer and not for a display for a PC. Throw into the mix you have a 2013 era iMac and that just complicates further.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

What's more, the answer is plainly "you can't do it" and the support person is clearly trying hard to find a workaround for you.