Using iMac as second screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mad4WDW, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Mad4WDW macrumors regular

Hi,

I've just ordered a new 27" iMac from the online store. Could someone tell me if its possible to connect this new mac to my existing mac which is a late 2010 model which doesn't have thunderbolt sockets?

I want to use the 2010 model and new model side by side so I have more screen space.

So yea is it possible, what do I need to buy to make it work if it is and how do I do it? I'm hoping its just a cable I need and a setting change. I've found info in previous posts but its for connecting an external monitor not another imac

Thanks in advance

Greg

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Current iMacs with Thunderbolt will only accept video in from another Thunderbolt device. Since the mini doesn't have thunderbolt, you can't do it via a simple cable. There's been talk of an active cable that will do it, but haven't seen one yet.

3. Mad4WDW thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I didn't explain clearly enough. I'm using a 27" iMac now, its a 2010 model it doesn't have thunderbolt connections just the mini display port.

I've ordered a new 27" iMac. What I want to do is use the new iMac when it turns up connected to the old one so the old one is a second screen. I just want to use the old one as a monitor extending the screen of the new one.

Is this possible? How is it done? Is it as simple as getting the right cable to connect new iMac thunderbolt to old iMac mini display port?

Thanks

Greg

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The 2013 iMac is able to use your 2010 27" iMac as a display. Look up Target Display Mode on Apple's tech support site. You'll need a mini-DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable. One end will go in your 2010's mDP video port, the other will go in one of your new iMac's Thunderbolt ports (backwards compatible with mDP).

Your 2010 iMac, however, will not be able to use the 2013 iMac as a display.

5. Mad4WDW thread starter macrumors regular

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

FYI, the iMac acting as a display - the 2010 in your case - will need to be booted and running to be used as a display (I'm not aware of a way to do it without the machine actually booted and running). There's no way to just power the display without the CPU, OSX, etc., up and running. Though it can just sit idle.