Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.O.B

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Hey,

I realise this has been asked a few times already, but people have different iMac models with different ports and so forth, so I was wondering if I could get some specific help from people on here, who clearly know what they're talking about.

Essentially, I have the base 27" iMac, which does everything I need to do in OS X perfectly. However, it's severely limited as a gaming machine, and I'm starting to get into that again so I am willing to spend a bit to get something more powerful. However, it seems like a waste of space and money to get a monitor with the new PC if I can use the iMac as an external display, so my question is, what do I need to make this possible?

I realise that I'll be using the Mini DisplayPort on my iMac, but does the tower I buy need to have a Mini DisplayPort on it too, or can I use a converter? Has anyone had experience of connecting a rig to an iMac and using it in target display mode? Any tips, etc.

Thanks!

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I have used it as external display for a Mac Pro but not for a PC.

So I used a displayport to dp cable.

You'd need a DVI (PC end from video card) to dp one I guess.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I have the Alienware M17xR3 (it has a built in mdp out) as my gaming system connected to my 27" i7 2010 iMac and it performs wonderfully most of the time. I get the occasional flicker on the iMac screen while playing and haven't been able to confirm whether it's the cheap $11 mini-displayport (mdp) cable or the port on either system. It's awesome playing at full res on the 27"!

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.