Using iMac to power speakers in house

Discussion in 'iMac' started by al gilliland, Dec 19, 2013.

1. al gilliland macrumors newbie

I currently have my iMac wifi a music signal to an airport express which then has a line plugged into the stereo port in the express. This then breaks off into 2 rya jacks which plugs into my stereo receiver distributing the sound throughout the house. The problem I encounter is the music cuts out over the speaker occasionally. Means coming back to iTunes and usually resetting that particular airport express resulting in the music returning to the house speakers. Long story..It seems the problem lies in the wifi signal between the iMac and airport express which is only 4 ft away from the iMac.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to hardwire a signal from the iMac which would go into my stereo 4 ft away. I've tried plugging into the headphone jack on the iMac and then into the stereo. For some reason that gives me feedback and also every time I want sound out of the iMac I have to unplug the headphone jack, then replug it in the next time I want to se the stereo.

Anyone come up with a work around

Cheers
    Al

2. al gilliland thread starter macrumors newbie

Bruno

Will something appear on my sound page in settings when I connect it through this route. Or will the sound automatically be sent through the usb..Will I then still hear sound through the internal speakers

Thanks for your quick response

Cheers
    Al

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes, a new line will appear on the sound page in System Preferences, as if you were connecting USB external speakers.

You will be able to choose between internal and external speakers.

Also remember that Airplay does not need wifi do work : you can connect your Airport Express to you router via Ethernet and use Airplay even if you don't use any wifi in your network.